Foreign nationals can apply for a temporary residence permit in Poland which can be renewed as needed for their purpose of stay. Individuals can apply for a work permit, a work permit for highly-skilled employees, for the purpose of conducting business activities, for conducting scientific research, for family reunification as well as other circumstances.
If you want to move to Poland
in order to get a job or to open a Polish company
, you must apply for the appropriate type of permit and meet the requirements for permit holders.
What are the terms for obtaining a residence permit in Poland?
In Poland, permission for temporary residence is granted for maximum of 3 years and it can be renewed. In order to obtain a residence permit, you must submit an application to the appropriate consulate of Poland, usually found in your country of residence. In case you have already been staying in Poland, you can apply directly to the appropriate regional office of a provincial governor.
Such permit stands for your documentation for legal residence through your whole stay in Poland. It allows you to travel to and from Poland. If you plan to move to Poland with your entire family, meaning with your partner, as well as with any children, every person will need to apply for residence permits. The first steps into doing so are to provide proof of accommodation, employment and ability to support yourself and your family during your stay in Poland.
Investors who wish to open a company in Poland and are also interested in residing here for running the business should be aware that they need to apply for the adequate type of permit, the temporary residence permit for conducting business activity.
Company formation in Poland is not a lengthy process, however, investors may be interested in spending more time in the country, longer than three months.
In what cases the resident permit is issued?
The resident permit applies to foreigners who can guarantee that they have circumstances that obligate them to stay in Poland for more than three months, such as:
- - if they obtained a work permit or a written declaration of an employer
- - they run a business in Poland that brings benefits to the country
- - have recognized artistic abilities that are used in Poland
- - participate in training and internships under EU programs
- - are married to a Polish citizen
- - the purpose of the stay is related to joining the family/family reunification.
For more information on circumstances when the residence permit is granted in Poland, reach out to our Polish company formation consultants and you will receive complete information, as well as advice on how to proceed with the application.
In order to obtain the resident permit in Poland, the applicant has to address Cantonal Office and present specific documents, but he or she will be charged with a specific fee for this procedure.
What are the needed documents to apply for a resident permit in 2023?
There are specific documents one must provide when applying for a resident permit, such as:
- - copies of the application;
- - updated colored photographs with an exact size;
- - documents that confirm the need of an extended stay in Poland;
- - proof of fulfilment of tax liabilities with the State Treasury;
- - confirmation of registration for temporary residence;
- - a legal copy of the document that proofs that the applicant has a place to stay.
Applicants who wish to submit a residence permit application in 2023 will be asked to provide the needed documents, as well as make the submissions in person or online. The requirements vary according to the type of residence permit one is applying for. The process can also depend on whether or not the applicant is in the country at the time the documents are submitted. For those who are already in Poland and with to change the type or permit they have, our team can provide essential information.
The temporary residence permit for doing business in Poland
Investors who wish to apply for a temporary residence permit for opening a business can do so with the help of our Polish company formation agents. We are able to assist investors in all matters related to company formation and this permit is mandatory for those investors to whom we provide services who wish to stay in the country to run their business.
The following conditions are mandatory when applying for this type of permit:
- - health insurance: the applicant is required to prove that he has health insurance by submitting relevant documents.
- - income: the foreign nationals must also show that he/she has a source of stable and regular income that will be sufficient for living in Poland (with or without relatives, as applicable).
- - consent for business: the applicant must show that he/she has the approval from the competent authorities to occupy a certain position.
- - accommodation: proof of a place to stay in Poland is mandatory when submitting this application.
Moreover, applicants must make sure that they also comply with the conditions to open a company in Poland in 2023. The company run by the foreign national submitting the application must:
- - have revenue of no less than 12 times the average monthly remuneration for the third quarter of the year before the application was submitted or have at least two full-time Polish employees who can work without a work permit (and they were employed for at least one year prior to submitting the application).
- - be able to meet the criteria above in the future or make an increase in investments or create new job positions.
When submitting their application for a temporary residence permit for the purpose of conducting business activities, foreign nationals must also provide these additional documents:
- - personal income tax return;
- - certificate of discharge of financial obligations issued by the tax office in the foreign national’s country of residence.
- - company balance sheet and profit and loss account.
- - partnership agreement (for those investors who do not open a corporation but a partnership in Poland).
- - information about the company’s activity, as required for specific cases.
One of our agents who specialize in Polish company formation can provide investors with more information on the specific documents that need to be presented by foreign nationals who own companies.
Foreign nationals living in Poland
Poland is a country that has recorded an important economic development in recent years, making it attractive to both employees as well as investors. Many of the foreign nationals living in Poland come from neighboring countries, however, entrepreneurs are welcomed in the country and there are no restrictions regarding nationality.
According to a report from 2019, the following immigrants were living in Poland from selected countries:
- 1,762 immigrants from Ukraine in urban areas and 447 in rural areas;
- 143 immigrants from Austria in urban areas;
- 292 immigrants from France and 165 from Spain also in urban areas;
- 254 from Norway and 1,497 from Germany.
The statistics reported by Statistics Poland also include Polish nationals who arrived in Poland from their countries of previous residence.
Statistics Poland provides us with a view on the country’s demographic yearbook:
- - The total number of people registered for temporary stay in their actual place of residence (temporary stay of more than 3 months) as of December 31st, 2021 in Warsaw alone was 29,928, out of which 15,631 were men and 14,297 were women;
- - In Katowice the total number of persons registered for temporary stays of more than 3 months was 3,008 and in Gdańsk 4,126; in Wroclaw there were 10,809 such persons;
- - According to data for immigration for permanent residence by citizenship, there were 1644 applicants from Germany in 2021, 489 from the Netherlands, and 436 from Ireland.
As far as the regions in which foreign nationals choose to relocate, those who come to live in the country permanently frequently choose the Warsaw
region. Other cities of interest are Wroclaw, Krakow, and Poznan or Katowice.
Foreign investors who are interested in Polish company formation in 2023 can choose to apply for a temporary residence permit for the purpose of conducting business activity. One of our agents can provide interested individuals with more details.